More Shortages Expected In Utah This Summer Due To Pandemic
SANDY, Utah – Another round of shortages, including pool supplies, hot dogs, and even fireworks, were expected this summer because of the continued effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to business owners.
Some pool supply companies told KSL-TV that chlorine, pumps and other needs were already in short supply.
A number of Utah fireworks vendors also expressed their concern over whether they’ll have what they need in time for the 4th of July.
It was a huge holiday in 2020.
A number of shortages are expected this summer, including pool supplies, hot dogs, and fireworks. What's happening, and why one Utah vendor is crossing his fingers that his shipping container full of fireworks will be able to leave China in time for the 4th of July. @KSL5TV 5&6pm pic.twitter.com/MUc61fbv55
— Mike Anderson (@mikeandersonKSL) May 3, 2021
“Last year was a record year for fireworks in terms of how many of them went out in retail,” said Matt Shadle who runs a Black Cat Fireworks stand in Sandy.
Shadle said those big sales then, coupled with a backlog in manufacturing now because of the pandemic, started to cause some problems.
“I was on pins and needles up until here a month ago,” he said.
He said it looks like he will have what he needs in time for Independence Day, but not everyone is so lucky.
“I have no idea when it’s going to get here,” said Douglas Gordon with Utah Grand Finale Fireworks.
Gordon said his shipping container, which will also serve as a storefront, was stuck in the Wuhan area.
“The factories are about 1,200 miles from Shanghai,” he explained.
Once the container leaves China, Gordon said it will be stuck at another delay in California.
“Thing is, they’re backed up in L.A. on unloading, so I don’t know exactly how soon it’s going to get here. Maybe it will get here before the 4th of July, maybe for the 24th of July. I don’t know,” said Gordon.
It has caused a lot of uncertainty for a business that depends on our July holidays.
“I’m down in inventory this year, so I have a very small amount of selection, so I really need my fireworks this year to be able to pay my loan back,” he said.
Some fireworks vendors said they will be okay, so not all of them are in the same boat, but Shadle said consumers may find a much smaller supply, which means more demand and higher prices.
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 33024)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22249)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 17815)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12809)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8138)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 5410)