Fallen Police Officers Honored At Utah State Capitol
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah Law Enforcement Memorial on the grounds of the state capitol hosted a tribute in honor of police officers killed in the line of duty.
Taps and a dove release marked the occasion.
Organizers added two new names to the memorial.
Utah Highway Patrol officer Franklin Schaerrer died in 1945 following surgery on a hernia. He suffered the massive hernia while trying to lift a car after a crash.
A domestic violence suspect fatally shot Ogden Police Officer Nathan Lyday nearly a year ago.
— WVC Police (@WVCPD) May 4, 2017
Officer Lyday’s mother, Nancy, said she is proud of him.
“It’s just a neat thing to have knowing that my son left, just 24 years old and he left such a legacy,” she said. “He’s unbelievable.”
A total of 147 Utah police officers have died in the line of duty.
Officials called that a sobering reminder of the risk each officer takes every day to preserve our freedom and safety.
- Prices are Surging. Here's What Is Getting More Expensive (pageviews: 6277)
- Taylorsville Teen Dismembered, Stabbed (pageviews: 5495)
- Locations For Smithfield, Two Other Temples Announced (pageviews: 4697)
- Wasatch Co. Family Remembers Mother Killed In Fiery Heber City Crash (pageviews: 4008)
- Teen Drowns During Water Polo Practice (pageviews: 3161)
- Four People Were Rescued Off A Boat 'Teetering' At The Edge Of A Texas Dam, Police Say (pageviews: 3089)
- Friends, Family Remember Two High School Graduates Who Died In Fiery Crash – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2692)
- Firefighters Close US Highway 6 Due To Bear Fire; Reopenings Possible Throughout Day – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2118)
- Disneyland Resort Dropping Out-Of-State Restrictions Next Week (pageviews: 2078)