5 Steps To Take To Prevent A Car Burglary
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – It is probably safe to say you or someone you know has been a victim of a car burglary. It is one of the most frustrating things to deal with, ranging from some stolen change to several thousand dollars in damage and even identity theft.
Unfortunately, car burglaries have always been a problem that police departments face across the valley. But in the last year, those numbers have climbed another 12%, and these types of crimes are often difficult for police to solve.
So that leaves it on us to do our part in making our cars a harder target for thieves. Here are some things you should always do when you leave your vehicle, even if for a few seconds:
- Always lock your car.
- Keep belongings out of sight. Take them with you, or just leave them at home. A thief is much more likely to break into a car if they see something they want. Even small change can be enough incentive for a smash-and-grab. If they don’t see anything worth taking, they are more likely to move onto the next opportunity.
- If possible, park in a well-lit area or where cameras are installed. Thieves are less likely to break into vehicles where they may be seen by witnesses or caught on camera.
- Consider installing a car alarm.
- Park in a locked garage if it is available.
Before you get out of your car, take a few seconds to make sure you aren’t an easy target for thieves.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)