Teen To Be Tried As Adult In Murray Fatal Stabbing
MURRAY, Utah – The 17-year-old accused of fatally stabbing a woman outside a Murray apartment complex will be charged as an adult, prosecutors have announced.
Salt Lake District Attorney Sim Gill talked about why he upgraded the charges against Izaak Vijil.
Officials said 34-year-old Melissa Wood was stabbed after she told the suspect to stop using a racial slur on April 22.
Court documents said Vijil was outside with others when Wood “told him that he was being disrespectful.”
Witnesses said Vijil argued with Wood and told her to “get out of his face or he was going to slap her.”
“There were also witnesses that said it looked like he was punching at her, but it was later determined to be stab wounds,” Gill said.
Police said they found messages Vijil sent on Snapchat to someone afterwards saying, “I need a ride out of state ASAP.”
Gill said Vijil, has been charged with murder, aggravated assault and committing violence in front of a child
A GoFundMe account for Wood has raised over 13,000 for her family. She was described as beloved daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, and friend.
Prosecutors have requested that Vijil be held without bail.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 13464)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 10146)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10091)
- Utah truck driver arrested in California cold case from 1994 (pageviews: 6951)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 5445)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5414)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 4793)