Body Of Overdue Hiker Recovered From Little Cottonwood Canyon
SANDY, Utah — The body of a missing 31-year-old man has been recovered from Little Cottonwood Canyon, according to the Unified Police Department.
The victim, who was identified by police as Brent Rane from Salt Lake City, left to hike Mount Superior Thursday afternoon.
UPD Detective Ken Hansen said Rane contacted family just before 8 p.m. and said he was descending the mountain.
However, when he didn’t return home early Friday morning, his family called the police.
Officers responded to the area at 1:30 a.m. and search and rescue volunteers began looking for him at 3 a.m.
Rane’s body was located around 7 a.m.
“It appears from the scene that he maybe slipped on some snow and hit his head on a rock,” Hansen said.
Hansen went on to tell KSL it is their 10th search and rescue call in just 12 days.
“The laws of gravity still apply up here, and when you have these really steep hills, the penalty is pretty significant,” said Hansen.
He added conditions are dangerous with snow still on the mountains in higher elevations.
“I would say for up here wait until the snow is gone, wait until it’s not so slippery. A little dryer perhaps a little warmer and if possible somebody with you,” Hansen said.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)