Utah Troopers Cite 66 Triple-Digit Speeders Over Memorial Day Weekend
MURRAY, Utah — Utah Highway Patrol troopers cited more than five dozen drivers for triple-digit speeds over the holiday weekend, and troopers said those high speeds continue to be a persistent problem statewide.
“It’s not a good habit and it happens way too often here,” said Trooper Tucker Molinski.
Molinski, who patrols Salt Lake County, said he’s clocked cars on the I-215 West belt at 120 or 130 miles-per-hour “pretty consistently.”
“Some spots are just worse than others,” Molinski said. “They think going that fast is going to save them time, when in reality, it’s not going to and it just increases the risk.”
On Tuesday, UHP announced 66 triple-digit speeders had been cited during the Memorial Day weekend.
Overall, the department cited or warned 2,027 speeders and made 41 DUI stops.
Troopers also issued 298 seat belt citations.
Memorial Day Weekend Numbers
Over the weekend Troopers handled:
Speeding citation/warning: 2,027
Speed over 100 mph citation: 66*
Seat Belt citations: 298
Fatal Crashes: 2*
Reckless Drivers: 8 pic.twitter.com/6Km9VEd3Qp
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) June 1, 2021
“With people going too fast, you know, that’s how most of our crashes happen here,” Molinski said. “It just translates onto the road with more crashes and injury crashes and that type of thing.”
Now into the period considered Utah’s “100 deadliest days,” troopers urged everyone to keep their speeds down.
“Like, 70 miles per hour is plenty fast — you know, the speed limit here,” Molinski said.
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 24950)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 19408)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 7979)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 6672)
- West Jordan woman killed in crash with truck in Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5715)
- UPDATE: Police found missing man dead (pageviews: 5710)