Gov. Cox Calls Upon Utahns To Pray For Rain As Drought Persists
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Spencer Cox called upon all Utahns to pray for rain, while water officials asked residents to turn off the sprinklers in order to combat the effects of the drought.
“We’re hot and dry and it’s a tinder box up there,” said Todd Adams, director of the Utah Division of Water Resources.
From Cox’s appeal for divine intervention, to what experts are calling Utah’s worst drought in recent history, it all boils down to saving water.
🧵Utah is experiencing its worst drought since 1956. Most of the west is too. This weekend I have asked people of faith to pray for rain (more on that in a moment). Many have asked what more we are doing…1/
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) June 5, 2021
“The soil moisture is around 64%,” said Adams. “It’s the lowest it has been on record in the last 20 years.”
Adams said this year, we can’t afford the lush green grass, we just need to keep it alive.
“It’s OK to let it go brown,” he said.
As part of the Slow the Flow Campaign, they’ve asked residents to turn off their sprinklers once a week.
“One less watering saves around 3,000 gallons,” Adams said.
Adams said the state’s reservoirs are at 66% capacity.
That number has raised enough concern that nine reservoirs in central Utah are increasing fishing limits.
“What it is is we’re proactive so our water supplies can last further into the season,” he said. “We don’t know how long this drought is going to be.”
And the drought conditions only add fuel to the flame when it comes to wildfire risks.
“They’re seeing soil temperatures much higher,” said Adams. “If we get a fire that starts, it’s going to last much longer.”
That’s why Adams said every effort — from a shorter shower to a prayer for rain — helps.
“You know, I don’t care what denomination you are, it sure is not going to hurt,” he said.
For more information, visit conservewater.utah.gov.
- FDA forces Utah-based company Owlet to pull baby monitor sock off the market – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 18148)
- Post Malone visits Salt Lake City pizzeria – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10709)
- Young man who was accidentally invited to 'grandma's' Thanksgiving as a teen celebrates 6th year of dinner together (pageviews: 7286)
- Some Old Spice and Secret deodorants recalled after cancer-causing chemical is detected (pageviews: 6853)
- FDA forces Utah-based company Owlet to pull baby monitor sock off the market (pageviews: 5604)
- Post Malone visits Salt Lake City pizzeria (pageviews: 5589)
- Some Old Spice and Secret deodorants recalled after cancer-causing chemical is detected – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4641)
- Woman arrested in Utah County after assaulting multiple people (pageviews: 4585)
- Tooele family warns of E. coli after daughter nearly dies in the hospital (pageviews: 4101)