‘Summer Boost’ Program Prepares Students For Next School Year
MIDVALE, Utah — The pandemic created learning gaps for some Utah students, and it’s led to an uptick in enrollment for summer school.
This week, Canyons School District launched its Summer Boost Program.
Some K-8 students were invited to take part in the three-week program, where they will brush up on math and literacy skills and mix in some summer camp fun.
There are five sites within the district, which include Copperview Elementary.
Students fuel up with breakfast and then make the trek to the classroom for a day of learning.
Summer learning is a blast at #Canyons’ Summer Boost, a three-week program for kiddos who need a lift after the tough COVID-19 school year. Watch @abc4utah tonight for more about this innovative effort. #wearecanyons pic.twitter.com/R4eVCMqq3n
— Canyons District (@canyonsdistrict) June 9, 2021
“We reviewed data from mid-year and saw students that were demonstrating a need for additional instructional report,” said Aimee Wagner, summer boost program administrator at Copperview Elementary.
This is the first year Canyons schools offered the program for students who struggled during the pandemic — academically and socially.
With 25% less instruction this past school year, teachers like Lisa Pereira volunteered to spend time in the classroom to help students.
“We want to provide them whatever it is that they need so they can remove all of the other stress so we can get down to learning,” said Wagner.
The overall goal is to get students caught up and prepare them for a new school year in the fall.
“We’re feeding students, we are providing a safe place. We are providing real high-quality instruction and we’re having a lot of fun,” said Wagner.
Administrators said learning doesn’t stop at three weeks. They’ll continue to track the data and make any adjustments to ensure students can be successful.
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)