Car Crashes Into SLC Building; Gas Leak Forces Evacuations, State Street Closure
SALT LAKE CITY — A gas leak caused by a crash forced Salt Lake City authorities to evacuate some businesses and homes early Friday morning.
The crash happened around 12:30 a.m. on State Street near 1100 South when crews with the Salt Lake City Fire Department said a car crashed into a lock store and ruptured a natural gas line.
The driver passed a DUI test and was treated on scene for some minor injuries, and officials said it appears one of his tires may have popped.
A natural gas line was hit in the crash, but crews couldn’t reach it because they weren’t sure if the building was stable and the car was still running.
Firefighters were able to manually shut off the gas around 7 a.m Friday.
Update on State Street Incident:
Evacuation order has been lifted and residents may now safely return to their homes
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) June 11, 2021
State Street was closed in both directions between 1100 South and 1300 South, and police evacuated a half-block in all directions during the leak.
Southbound State Street lanes reopened around 7 a.m.
- Prices are Surging. Here's What Is Getting More Expensive (pageviews: 6277)
- Taylorsville Teen Dismembered, Stabbed (pageviews: 5495)
- Locations For Smithfield, Two Other Temples Announced (pageviews: 4697)
- Wasatch Co. Family Remembers Mother Killed In Fiery Heber City Crash (pageviews: 4008)
- Teen Drowns During Water Polo Practice (pageviews: 3161)
- Four People Were Rescued Off A Boat 'Teetering' At The Edge Of A Texas Dam, Police Say (pageviews: 3089)
- Friends, Family Remember Two High School Graduates Who Died In Fiery Crash – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2692)
- Firefighters Close US Highway 6 Due To Bear Fire; Reopenings Possible Throughout Day – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2118)
- Disneyland Resort Dropping Out-Of-State Restrictions Next Week (pageviews: 2078)