Temperatures Soar Into Triple Digits, Setting New Records In Parts Of Utah
SALT LAKE COUNTY — Triple-digit temperatures set new records in several areas of Utah Monday, with the weather promising to turn even hotter on Tuesday.
According to the National Weather Service in Salt Lake City, the Salt Lake City Airport set a new record high of 103, surpassing the previous high of 101 set back in 1974.
As of 4:44 PM Salt Lake City Airport has reached a new high temperature of 103°F today, and now makes today the hottest day of the year so far. #utwx
— NWS Salt Lake City (@NWSSaltLakeCity) June 14, 2021
Salt Lake City’s downtown also saw a new record high of 101, while the BYU campus posted a new all-time high for the date of 103. Hanksville in Wayne County saw a high of 107, breaking the old record of 106 set back in 1987.
Forecasters were calling for more extreme temperatures Tuesday, including a potential high of 104 degrees in Salt Lake City.
While the weather forced many to the sidelines, that wasn’t the case at Wardle Fields Regional Park in Bluffdale, where a group said county pickleball rankings were at stake as they battled through a “heated” match in the late afternoon.
“(It’s) definitely extra hot,” said Nathan Linnell. “We played this morning at 6:00 and I think it was, what, 72 when we started? We’re used to 50s the last few weeks — so definitely hot.”
Linnell said Monday afternoon was the only time schedules came together for everyone involved with the match, but the group of Linnell, James Palmer, Joe Anderson and Cory King also said they were embracing the hot summer weather.
“Absolutely,” Linnell said. “Bring it on!”
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 24950)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 19408)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 7979)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 6672)
- West Jordan woman killed in crash with truck in Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5715)
- UPDATE: Police found missing man dead (pageviews: 5710)