Community Helps Displaced Residents From Sugarhouse Office Fire
SALT LAKE CITY — Multiple families were displaced and more than a dozen small businesses were destroyed from a fire that broke out at an office building in the Sugarhouse area.
One of the residents that was forced out said he was thankful for his neighbors who jumped into action early Sunday morning to get people out.
“This building was a remarkable Norwegian office building,” said Pat Shay, who lives in Sugarhouse.
“It’s a lot because my room window pointed right out to that office building,” said Isaac Kampman, who was displaced from the fire.
Kampman lived off of Ashton Avenue for more than a year and a half with his roommate, snake, lizard and cat.
“The gentleman’s name, I believe, is Joey,” said Kampman. “He broke into that window there and got the cat.”
Thanks to a man in a separate unit, all of them are still alive.
Unfortunately, cars, computers, mattresses and clothes were lost in the blaze.
“It’s a lesson that I guess will only be learned once,” said Kampman.
Kampman and his roommate are some of the many people getting support from the community.
“I got a long road ahead of us,” he said.
In a neighborhood filled with new additions, one old saying runs true: “People care about one another.”
“Helping people gives people a sense of belonging.” said Shay.
The cause of the fire was still under investigation.
Several GoFundMe accounts have been set up for the people that were displaced and the businesses that were impacted.
All of these fundraisers were backed by the GoFundMe Guarantee, which means funds are guaranteed to go to the right place or donors will get a refund.
- For Nikki Evans (Business owner, massage parlor):
- For Teresa VanDyke (Business owner, eyelashes):
- For Michelle Weekley (Business owner, Waxing Moon Aesthetics):
- For Limhi Gomez (Business owner, Iron Palm Massage):
- For Alec Soderberg(Business owner, All Waves Meditate):
- For Kayla McKay (Business owner, Pure Vitality):
- For Cody Miner & Isaac Kampman (Neighboring residents):
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home (pageviews: 9916)
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5751)
- Park City Fire Chief Dead After UTV Crash During Oregon Vacation (pageviews: 5201)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah's Drought (pageviews: 4135)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah’s Drought – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3339)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake (pageviews: 3156)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2353)
- No. Tooele Police Investigating After Fireworks Damage Parts Of Neighborhood – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2187)
- Live (pageviews: 1925)