Utah Reports Zero Additional Deaths, 237 New COVID-19 Cases
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Health on Tuesday said another 237 residents have tested positive for COVID-19, and zero deaths were reported for the third day in a row.
Currently, 153 people are hospitalized with the virus and an additional 12,515 vaccine doses have been administered, bringing the state’s total to 2,751,008.
UDOH also said over 1.31 million Utahns are now fully vaccinated and over 1.54 million have received at least one dose of a vaccine.
Also, beginning with the Fourth of July weekend, UDOH will only update the COVID-19 dashboard on official business days.
For more information, visit coronavirus.utah.gov.
UDOH reports 2,743,511 people have been tested — 2,909 more than Monday. Of those, 409,964 Utahns have tested positive for COVID-19 — an increase of 237 new cases.
The rolling seven-day average for positive tests was 274 — slightly down from 276 on Monday.
The rolling seven-day average for percent positivity of “people over people” rose slightly to 7.2% while the rolling seven-day average for percent positivity of “tests over tests” remained at 4.7%.
The state has administered 2,751,008 vaccine doses in total, which is an increase of 12,515 over Monday’s numbers. As of Tuesday, over 1.54 million Utahns had received at least one dose of a vaccine and over 1.31 million Utahns had been fully vaccinated.
Over 3.19 million vaccines have been delivered to Utah.
Currently, 153 people are hospitalized with confirmed cases of COVID-19, and 56 of those people were in intensive care units.
Utah’s ICUs were 71.1% full and the ICU beds in Utah’s referral centers were 74.8% full Tuesday — just below the state’s utilization warning threshold of 77%.
“At about 69% overall ICU utilization, ICUs in Utah’s major hospitals with the ability to provide best care for COVID-19 patients begin to reach staffing capacity,” UDOH officials said. “Seventy-two percent use among all hospitals and 77% in referral center hospitals creates major strains on the health care system. When 85% capacity is reached, Utah will be functionally out of staffed ICU beds, indicating an overwhelmed hospital system.”
Zero additional deaths were reported Tuesday. To date, the virus has killed 2,323 of the state’s residents.
Have you or a family member been affected by coronavirus issues in Utah? KSL wants to hear from you. Contact KSL by emailing email@example.com.
The latest COVID-19 stories from KSL can be found here.
How do I prevent it?
The CDC has some simple recommendations, most of which are the same for preventing other respiratory illnesses or the flu:
- Avoid close contact with people who may be sick
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
The CDC recommends unvaccinated Americans should continue wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies).
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home (pageviews: 9916)
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5751)
- Park City Fire Chief Dead After UTV Crash During Oregon Vacation (pageviews: 5201)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah's Drought (pageviews: 4135)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah’s Drought – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3339)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake (pageviews: 3156)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2353)
- No. Tooele Police Investigating After Fireworks Damage Parts Of Neighborhood – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2187)
- Live (pageviews: 1925)