Gov. Cox Encourages Utahns To Not Light Fireworks Amid Drought Conditions
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Spencer Cox is asking Utahns to cut back on fireworks this year amid severe drought conditions and dangerous fire conditions.
However, he said he hasn’t decided if there will be a statewide firework ban.
“I can’t tell you right now if there is going to be a statewide ban,” Cox said while answering a question during a live Q&A on Facebook.
Some cities are banning fireworks within their borders, including Eagle Mountain, which voted to ban fireworks during both July holidays. Salt Lake County already released an interactive map showing firework restricted areas.
The governor said to expect more restrictions as we lead up to the 4th of July, but he did not offer specifics. He did urge Utahns to not light fireworks at all because of the dry drought conditions.
“I would encourage you not do fireworks this year,” Cox said.
However, he did encourage Utahns to buy fireworks, even if they don’t light them.
“Go buy them. Support the local economy and those that are in the fireworks business but save them until we’re in better times and maybe until next year even if necessary,” Cox said.
Fireworks are only legal to light off in the two days leading up to the 4th of July, on the holiday itself and one day after. The same rules apply for Pioneer Day on July 24.
- Live (pageviews: 9847)
- Missionaries From Utah, Montana Killed In New Mexico Car Crash (pageviews: 8506)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake (pageviews: 6429)
- Utah Woman Shares Experience As 'Breakthrough' COVID-19 Case After Getting J&J Vaccine (pageviews: 5395)
- Utah Woman Shares Experience As ‘Breakthrough’ COVID-19 Case After Getting J&J Vaccine – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2133)
- Salt Lake Co. DA Rules Officer Justified In Fatal Shooting Of Handcuffed Man In West Valley (pageviews: 2063)
- Cancer Misinformation On The Rise On Social Media, Huntsman Cancer Institute Study Says (pageviews: 1955)
- Family Calls District Attorney's Ruling 'Systemic Failure' (pageviews: 1863)
- Days Of ’47 Parade: Road Closures, Times & How To Watch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 1525)