‘Utah Tech University’ Recommended As Potential New Name For Dixie State
ST. GEORGE, Utah — The Dixie State University Board of Trustees voted on Tuesday to submit Utah Tech University as a new name for the university to the Utah Board of Higher Education and Utah Legislature.
The unanimous vote came after an emotional meeting, where board members called a previous name suggestion — Utah Polytechnic State University — an “epic failure.”
The Utah Board of Higher Education will review the Utah Tech University name and must submit its findings to the Utah Legislature by Nov. 1.
The board also voted to support naming the St. George campus of a renamed UTU as the “Dixie Campus.” Members said it would allow them to honor the history of the name “Dixie” while helping distinguish from other UTU campuses.
There are currently DSU centers in Kanab and Hurricane and plans for additional campuses in southern Utah.
Earlier this month, the Dixie State University Name Recommendation Committee voted 11-3 in favor of renaming the university “Utah Polytechnic State University” with an alternative name of “Utah Tech.”
The UPSU name was quickly met by both support and backlash from members of the community. Those initially opposed to the name viewed the shorthand as confusing and possibly problematic, especially given the state’s past history with polygamy.
- Police: Man steals excavator, tears up ground outside grocery store (pageviews: 10928)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10276)
- Flash flood advisory for Salt Lake, Davis County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8607)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6176)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5885)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5171)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5037)