Police: Man Arrested After Allegedly Setting Murray Apartment Complex On Fire
MURRAY, Utah — Police said a 27-year-old man has been arrested after he allegedly told a witness, “There’s about to be a fire,” before a Murray apartment building went up in flames Thursday morning.
Forrest Wilkinson was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on one count of aggravated arson on Friday.
Early Thursday morning, firefighters responded to the fire at the Stillwater Apartments, which displaced approximately 50 residents.
Police said a witness saw Wilkinson on the third floor of the building where the fire started.
Wilkinson “reportedly told the male ‘there’s about to be a fire’ and laughed,” police said. “The witness stated that he soon saw the male running down the stairs, yelling ‘fire.’ The witness then saw the apartment engulf in flames.”
When police contacted Wilkinson, he “began making excited statements” and allegedly told officers he was being followed by the police and had to light his apartment on fire.
“He then stated that he sprayed lighter fluid all over his apartment and lit it on fire with a piece of paper,” police said.
Officers said a K-9 officer was able to detect an accelerate on both of Wilkinson’s shoes during a search.
A “substantial section” of the building is a complete loss, according to police.
Among the victims were two couples that are expecting babies in the next few weeks.
“Pretty stressed out because we got a baby on the way,” resident Jordan Watt said. “And all of our baby stuff is gone.”
Watt and his girlfriend, Jazmine, have set up a GoFundMe* account to help with expenses.
Another couple, Brianna Cisneros and Matthew Evans are also expecting a baby and lost everything in the fire. Their family has set up a GoFundMe* as well.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 12077)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 8131)
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 6707)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 4895)
- 'Laverne & Shirley' actor Cindy Williams dies at 75 (pageviews: 3897)