President Nelson Announces Final Latter-day Saint Temple Has Reopened
SALT LAKE CITY — All 160 operating temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have reopened for worship services, according to President Russell M. Nelson.
The Kyiv Ukraine Temple, which reopened on Monday, was the final temple to reopen since all temples were closed at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I will never forget the day near the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic when we had to make the excruciating decision to close the temples,” President Nelson said in a Facebook post Monday. “The rapid spread of the virus made this decision inevitable, but it was a painful one. I couldn’t help but wonder how the Prophet Joseph Smith and all of my predecessors would feel about the action we were taking.”
“But now, with the temples open, our work for those on both sides of the veil can be resumed. To have all our temples reopened, at least to some degree, is a cause for rejoicing.
“I am grateful for the many scientists, health care workers, and leaders who have stemmed the tide of this virus such that we can now safely gather in larger numbers. And I thank you, my dear brothers and sisters, for your patience and worthiness to serve.
“May we cherish the blessings of the House of the Lord and attend the temple as often as our circumstances permit.”
All 17 operating temples in Utah have moved to Phase 3 of the Church’s reopening guidelines, which allows for all ordinances with some restrictions. Another 10 temples have been announced or are under construction in the Beehive State.
The St. George and Salt Lake temples remain closed for renovation but will be listed in Phase 3 so patrons in those temple districts can attend nearby temples. Another six temples are currently closed for renovations, including temples in Washington, DC; Tokyo, Hong Kong, Mesa, Arizona; Columbus, Ohio, and Hamilton, New Zealand.
The Manti Utah Temple will close for renovations on Oct. 1.
Church officials said 10 temples have paused operations due to local COVID-19 restrictions as of July 5.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)