New Research Shows Over Half Of Unvaccinated Americans Have Lower Incomes
SALT LAKE CITY – According to new numbers from Axios Research, 52% of unvaccinated Americans live in households with annual incomes of less than $50,000. Some reasons behind the vaccine hesitancy could be misinformation about the vaccines or lack of accessibility, whether it be child care of employment.
Caroline Moreno, equitable access manager for the Salt Lake County Health Department, said convincing people to get the shots is a huge challenge.
“It’s a challenge across the board,” Moreno said. “Everybody who really wanted a vaccine, at this point, has one.”
People KSL TV talked to are still divided on the issue. While spending the evening at Liberty Park with her family, Tatiana said she’s not ready to get the shot. She doesn’t trust the research yet.
“I’m not sure if it’s gonna help me or get me in trouble,” she said while grilling dinner for her family and friends. “I’d rather wait like six months to see what happens.”
Others say they jumped at the chance to get protected from COVID-19. “I had the opportunity and I felt like it was important to do for me and my family,” said Casey as he watched his young children play in the water. “I felt comfortable.”
Moreno said a big part of the outreach is getting people to feel that same way.
“We do not want to tell people, ‘Just go get vaccinated’ because if people are not comfortable that’s not something that we want to force on them,” she says. “We want them to be comfortable.”
Something Tatiana said won’t happen for her, yet.
“If everything keeps going well, and COVID is still around, I’m probably gonna do it next year. But not now,” she said.
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 12623)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 8243)
- Netflix’s ‘Falling for Christmas’ filmed at these charming Utah locations - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6214)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as ‘the life of the party’ - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5376)
- Utah family gets 'a measure of justice' in 50-year-old rape case (pageviews: 5319)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4730)