Police Target Speeding, Distracted Drivers On Mountain View Corridor
WEST JORDAN, Utah – The Utah Highway Patrol, along with officers from the West Valley City and West Jordan police departments, conducted an enforcement blitz along a new section of Mountain View Corridor.
It’s a stretch of road that’s had more fatalities in six months than troopers typically see in a full year — data from the Utah Department of Public Safety shows so far there have been three fatalities on Mountain View Corridor in 2021, while the previous four-year average has only been two fatalities per year.
Twelve motor officers were on the road Thursday making sure drivers obeyed speed limits and stopped for red lights.
“The more people we can educate, the better,” said UHP Sgt. Cameron Roden.
Roden said the number of deadly crashes has been trending up in past years.
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) July 15, 2021
In 2020, Utah saw 102 deaths on its roads between Memorial Day and Labor Day, an increase of 61 deaths compared with the same period in 2019.
“Ultimately we want to reduce crashes, in reducing crashes, we reduce fatalities,” Roden explained.
Officers focused their attention on the newly completed section of Mountain View Corridor, which runs from state Route 201 to 4100 South.
“Any high-speed roadways where traffic and there’s cross traffic and red lights. We want to make sure people are paying attention. They aren’t driving distracted and driving too fast,” Roden said.
UHP said officers made 173 stops between Thursday.
- 82 — Speeding
- 25 — Seat belt violations
- 7 — Texting
- 9 — Equipment
- 22 — Other moving violations
- 65 — Other Non-moving violations
- Live (pageviews: 9847)
- Missionaries From Utah, Montana Killed In New Mexico Car Crash (pageviews: 8506)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake (pageviews: 6429)
- Utah Woman Shares Experience As 'Breakthrough' COVID-19 Case After Getting J&J Vaccine (pageviews: 5395)
- Utah Woman Shares Experience As ‘Breakthrough’ COVID-19 Case After Getting J&J Vaccine – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2133)
- Salt Lake Co. DA Rules Officer Justified In Fatal Shooting Of Handcuffed Man In West Valley (pageviews: 2063)
- Cancer Misinformation On The Rise On Social Media, Huntsman Cancer Institute Study Says (pageviews: 1955)
- Family Calls District Attorney's Ruling 'Systemic Failure' (pageviews: 1863)
- Days Of ’47 Parade: Road Closures, Times & How To Watch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 1525)