Harmons Chef Lesli’s Caramelized Onion, Steak and Blue Cheese Pasta Recipe
SALT LAKE CITY — Chef Lesli Sommerdorf with Harmons stopped by the KSL TV Studios to share her caramelized onion, steak and blue cheese pasta recipe.
- Difficulty: 2
- Total Time: 35 mins.
- Serves: 4
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, halved and cut into half-moons
- 6 oz blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- High heat oil, such as canola, grapeseed, or avocado
- 2 (8 oz) steaks, such as New York or top sirloin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb fresh short pasta, such as Harmons radiatore or rigatoni
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add onions and cook until beginning to brown, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and blue cheese over medium-high heat and stir until cheese melts. Add cream and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, until sauce is thick and coats back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in caramelized onions, parmesan, and season with pepper.
Meanwhile, in a grill pan or frying pan over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of oil. Liberally season steaks with salt and pepper. When oil shimmers, add steak and cook on first side, 3-5 minutes. Turn over and cook on second sides until an instant-read thermometer reaches 128°, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5-7 minutes. Slice into thin strips.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook until al dente according to the package directions. Return sauce to stove over medium heat and, using a slotted spoon, transfer pasta to sauce. Add steak and toss to combine. If needed, add pasta cooking water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until sauce is desired consistency.
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 24950)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 19408)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 7979)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 6672)
- West Jordan woman killed in crash with truck in Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5715)
- UPDATE: Police found missing man dead (pageviews: 5710)