West Jordan Woman Killed, 9 Others Injured In Wyoming Crash
KEMMERER, Wyo. — A 55-year-old woman from West Jordan died following a head-on collision in Wyoming, according to officials with the Wyoming Highway Patrol.
The incident happened near milepost 43 on U.S. Highway 30 around 2:05 p.m. Wednesday.
WHP officials said a 2008 Mazda CX-9 was traveling west when the driver attempted to pass by a semi-tractor trailer and failed to see a 2008 Toyota Sienna traveling eastbound.
According to a Facebook post from WHP, the vehicles attempted to avoid the collision by moving over into the shoulder, but they ended up colliding head-on.
The driver of the Mazda — identified as 55-year-old Wendy W. Stapel — was transported to South Lincoln Medical Center in Kemmerer, Wyoming where she passed away from her injuries.
Officials said Stapel was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
Four additional passengers in the Mazda, who officials said were all properly restrained, were also taken to the South Lincoln Medical Center to be treated for their injuries. They were identified by WHP troopers as 27-year-old Ashlee Johnson from Kearns, Utah and three juveniles.
Trevor Jackson, 39, of Richmond, Utah was driving the Toyota. Officials said he was also wearing a seatbelt and was transported by helicopter to the University of Utah.
Toyota passengers Seantae Jackson, 37, of Richmond, Utah and Melissa Zelig, 37, of Salt Lake City and two juveniles also sustained injuries in the crash. Officials said they were either flown to the University of Utah or transported by ground ambulance to South Lincoln Medical Center.
WHP officials said driver inattention on Stapel’s part was being investigated as a potential contributing factor.
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 19689)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 7534)
- Three moose take a dip in a North Salt Lake pool (pageviews: 4062)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3960)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3749)
- Bodies of 3 missing kids, woman found in Minnesota lake (pageviews: 3586)