Firefighter Airlifted To Utah After Being Seriously Burned In Montana Fire
SALT LAKE CITY — A firefighter is being treated at the University of Utah Burn Center after his fire engine was overrun by the Harris Fire in southern Montana.
Officials said Dan Steffensen and Scott Wilson were battling the fire Friday when winds suddenly shifted toward the two-person team.
“Dan attempted to reach safety, but was overrun by the fast-moving fire,” officials said in a Facebook post. “Scott acted quickly to inform the incident commander and get Dan to emergency medical care.”
Steffensen was later airlifted to Salt Lake City in serious condition.
“We’d like to thank the wildland firefighting community for reaching out to us with offers of help and words of support. Please keep Dan and his family in your thoughts and prayers during these difficult times,” said Fire Chief Tom Kuntz. “This event is a reminder that firefighting is dangerous and we are truly grateful to those who answer the call to help others in time of need.”
A GoFundMe account* has been established to help Steffensen with medical and other expenses.
The lightning-caused Harris Fire has burned approximately 2,500 acres near Joilet, Montana, which is about 35 miles southwest of Billings.
It was 25% contained as of Sunday night.
Steffensen is part of the Red Lodge Fire Rescue, a “volunteer/career combination emergency service that provides fire protection/education, ambulance services and technical search and rescue missions” in Montana.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)