Fireworks Legally Allowed For Pioneer Day Holiday Starting Thursday
SALT LAKE CITY – Utahns can legally set off fireworks in designated areas as part of the Pioneer Day holiday, beginning Thursday and lasting through Sunday.
Before you do, Salt Lake City firefighters are giving residents a refresher course on what is allowed.
No major fires were reported from fireworks over the Fourth of July weekend, and fire officials want to keep it that way going into Pioneer Day.
They handed out flyers Wednesday in Sugar House neighborhoods so people get the message.
With the Pioneer Day holiday coming up, SLC firefighters are rolling out today to remind people about fireworks restrictions.
— Tamara Vaifanua (@TamaraVaifanua) July 21, 2021
“Record 100 degree days already and very little snowfall this past winter puts us in a situation where everything is just a tinderbox,” said Chief Karl Lieb with the Salt Lake City Fire Department.
Officials banned fireworks in foothill areas on the eastern and western edges of the Salt Lake Valley.
Beginning Wednesday, all but four counties in Utah are under Stage 2 restrictions.
Stage 2 restrictions ban the following on all state and unincorporated private lands:
- Tent stoves, coal & wood-burning stoves
- Charcoal grills & barbecues
Lieb said people exercised caution on the Fourth of July and should not let their guard down on the 24th.
“So important not to take any chances this year,” said Lieb.
In the past, calls doubled for Salt Lake City firefighters over the Pioneer Day holiday, which strained crews.
Don’t forget to double-check local firework restrictions this weekend. Even during legal discharge dates, July 22-25, fireworks are still illegal on federal lands & banned on state & unincorporated private lands this year. Playing with the law is playing with fire. #FireSense pic.twitter.com/sOwTbpODeQ
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) July 21, 2021
Firefighters issued several warnings during the Fourth, but they will issue citations if needed.
Violators could pay a fine of up to $1,000.
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home (pageviews: 9916)
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5751)
- Park City Fire Chief Dead After UTV Crash During Oregon Vacation (pageviews: 5201)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah's Drought (pageviews: 4135)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah’s Drought – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3339)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake (pageviews: 3156)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2353)
- No. Tooele Police Investigating After Fireworks Damage Parts Of Neighborhood – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2187)
- Live (pageviews: 1925)