Will The Olympic Games Return To Salt Lake City?
TOKYO – Although the Opening Ceremony was the headline at the Olympics in Tokyo Friday, the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic committee confirmed that bringing the 2030 Olympic Games to Salt Lake City is on their radar.
Earlier this week, the International Olympic Committee announced Brisbane, Australia as the 2032 Olympic host city.
Just before Friday’s opening ceremony, KSL-TV’s Alex Cabrero, who is in Tokyo to cover the games, asked if bringing the 2030 games to Salt Lake City is being discussed.
“We are poised and ready. Salt Lake City is so excited and so supportive of the notion of having the Winter Games return to the U.S.,” said Susanne Lyons with the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee. “And we will probably be having some conversations as we are able to run across in a socially distanced way with our counterparts at the IOC. They are very well aware of our readiness and our desire to bid.”
I just asked the USOPC about the possibility of Salt Lake City 2030, especially with IOC announcing Brisbane 2032. They say Salt Lake would make a great candidate, but no movement yet. The IOC wants to get through Tokyo, then look ahead. But USOPC is ready when the IOC is. pic.twitter.com/st91hY0rAp
— Alex Cabrero (@KSL_AlexCabrero) July 23, 2021
She also said Salt Lake City would be an outstanding candidate for another Winter Games and wants to welcome them back to the U.S. as soon as they can.
However, she said the International Olympic Committee wants to get through these Games first, then look forward.
No doubt Salt Lake City will be a part of that conversation.
As for the games in Tokyo and concerns over COVID-19, the USOPC Board told KSL-TV they feel like the restrictions and safety measures in place were keeping athletes safe. They supported the games going on as a sign of “the resilience of humanity” at a time when “the entire world needs hope.”
KSL 5 TV Live
- First temple in Virginia opens its doors to the public (pageviews: 14346)
- Man in custody, accused of filming children in the bathroom of his business (pageviews: 14172)
- Utah man bit by shark while swimming in Hawaii (pageviews: 11996)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 11993)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 10759)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 9599)