Police: Man Slammed Into Ex-Girlfriend’s Car Before Crashing Into TRAX Station
SALT LAKE CITY — One man was arrested and taken into custody after police said he rammed his ex-girlfriend’s vehicle before crashing into a TRAX station on Sunday.
Officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department said Nicholas Orion Powell, 21, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on several charges, including aggravated assault, reckless and careless driving and criminal mischief.
Police said Powell was driving his SUV at a high rate of speed on 400 South when he rammed into his ex-girlfriend’s Honda Civic, causing it to spin and face the opposite direction of traffic.
Officers said Powell hit the Civic with enough force that all of its airbags deployed.
Powell then “lost control of the vehicle and jumped the curb” at the TRAX Trolley Station near 600 East.
Powell’s ex-girlfriend was taken to an area hospital; no update on her condition was immediately available. A second victim, who was at the TRAX station at the time of the crash, was struck but denied medical evaluation, according to police.
Officers said the station suffered approximately $50,000 worth of structural damage, and the Utah Transit Authority said red line trains were delayed throughout the day.
Police said Powell was read his Miranda rights and said he intentionally rear-ended his ex-girlfriend’s car because she had his wallet.
Officers added they discovered messages between Powell and his ex-girlfriend in which Powell threatened “that he was going to burn her house down.”
Domestic Violence Resources
If you are a victim of abuse, there are resources out there to help. It is a difficult first step, but help is available 24 hours a day and doesn’t cost anything.
- Utah Domestic Violence 24-Hour Hotline: 1-800-897-LINK (5465)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Utah YWCA shelter for women — 24-Hour Crisis Line: 801-537-8600
- 911 — don’t hesitate to call if you need immediate help
Utah Domestic Violence Coalition: https://www.udvc.org/welcome.html
University of Utah Health: https://uofuhealth.utah.edu/coe-womens-health/domestic-violence-resources.php
Start By Believing: https://www.startbybelieving.org/home/
Safe Harbor: https://safeharborhope.org/
Utah Department of Health: https://health.utah.gov/featured-news/new-report-shows-impact-of-intimate-partner-violence-in-utah https://www.udvc.org/resources/policy-reports/reports.html
KSL 5 TV Live
- First temple in Virginia opens its doors to the public (pageviews: 14346)
- Man in custody, accused of filming children in the bathroom of his business (pageviews: 14172)
- Utah man bit by shark while swimming in Hawaii (pageviews: 11996)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 11993)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 10759)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 9599)