Alaska Quake Produces Prolonged Shaking, Small Tsunami
PERRYVILLE, Alaska (AP) — A powerful earthquake that struck just off Alaska’s southern coast caused prolonged shaking and prompted tsunami warnings that sent people scrambling for shelters.
Residents reported only minor damage, but officials said that could change after sunrise and people get a better look.
The National Tsunami Warning Center canceled the warnings early Thursday when the biggest wave, of just over a half foot, was recorded in Old Harbor. A tsunami warning that had also been issued for Hawaii was also canceled, and officials said there was no threat to Guam, American Samoa or the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands.
Notable quake, preliminary info: M 8.2 – 91 km ESE of Perryville, Alaska https://t.co/DusSgxqIuC
— USGS Earthquakes (@USGS_Quakes) July 29, 2021
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito’s van in Grand Teton National Park – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 86721)
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park (pageviews: 55465)
- Draper family: Airbnb no help after someone lists their home as a rental & guests started showing up – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 43765)
- Grand County Sheriff’s Office investigating Moab murders & Petito disappearance (pageviews: 28658)
- Boyfriend of missing 22-year-old woman declared missing (pageviews: 19844)
- Draper family: Airbnb no help after someone lists their home as a rental & guests started showing up (pageviews: 18700)
- Private investigator surprised search warrant hasn’t been served at house of Gabby Petito’s boyfriend – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12919)
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9483)
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito (pageviews: 9462)