Rocket Launching at Bonneville Salt Flats Scrapped
BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS, Utah — It’s a long-standing tradition to launch rockets at the Bonneville Salt Flats and this week more than 500 rockets of all different sizes will takeoff from the salty surface.
The launches brings rocket enthusiasts from across the country to take part in the fun.
“This is my hobby, I do it just for fun”, said Gerald Meuz of San Francisco, “When you hear that countdown and that build up, that part is always the most exciting.”
Paul Joyce has overseen the event for nearly 30 years, but now they are saying goodbye to the salt.
“The new airport has seen a lot of air traffic coming into Salt Lake,” Joyce said.
The Federal Aviation Administration has decided to no longer permit rocket launches in the area just as there is a growing interest in space.
“We’re seeing this huge influx of younger fliers,” Meux said.
The Utah Rocket Association has a plan, they’re looking to move the event as far as Moab in order to keep rockets flying.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 15557)
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 12470)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9294)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 6279)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6040)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5879)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5783)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 5356)