Special Agents With State Department Work To Keep Team USA Safe at Olympic Games
TOKYO, Japan – Athletes are representing the United States in Tokyo, but there is a team behind the team you may not see. Members of the U.S. State Department are in Tokyo keeping American athletes safe.
For Diplomatic Security Special Agent Richard Crosby, letting the athletes shine, while staying in the background, is what he’s good at.
“It’s all about them. It’s not about me,” Crosby said.
He’s spent these Olympics working with the U.S. Archery Team.
“I said, you are all the best of the best.”
His job is to make sure the archers have nothing to worry about beyond competition.
“Anything that they need and also my presence here, they feel safe.”
Keeping American athletes safe while competing overseas, especially at an Olympics, is considered a high-level assignment.
“Basically, I’m the police liaison with the Japanese police here and my job is to liaison with them any security related issues that the athletes have.”
For Crosby, who served in the Marines, and has an extensive history of assignments protecting American dignitaries such as John McCain, Nikki Haley, and First Lady Jill Biden, including missions he can’t talk about, the Olympics is the culmination of a 20-year career.
“Seen it, did it, done everything you can imagine and the highlight of my career is the Olympics, because it’s the only thing I haven’t done.”
Now, though, he’s done it. Part of a team keeping American athletes safe, where anything other than Gold, is unacceptable.
“It’s something I can show my kids when they get older and say, hey, this is what your dad did.”
Crosby is planning on retiring after these Olympics and Paralympics.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)