Police: Woman Killed In Salt Lake City Shooting, Suspect Arrested
SALT LAKE CITY — A 31-year-old woman was shot to death in Salt Lake City Tuesday morning, according to police.
Officers responded to the area of 850 West and South Temple around 3:30 a.m. after witnesses reported hearing five or six gunshots.
When police arrived, they found 31-year-old Patrice Ann Winward, who was later identified as the victim’s girlfriend, performing CPR.
Additional personnel, including paramedics and firefighters, were then called out, but the victim was pronounced dead on scene.
UPDATE: .@SLCPD say a 31 yr old Utah woman died after being shot. Police got the call around 3:30 am reports of 5-6 gunshots. No suspect description. They don’t consider the person involved to be armed and dangerous. #KSLTV
— Tamara Vaifanua (@TamaraVaifanua) August 17, 2021
“During this homicide investigation, SLCPD detectives learned that Winward and the victim were involved in an argument while riding their bicycles. Witnesses reported the argument ended after multiple gunshots rang out,” read a press release from the Salt Lake City Police Department. “After allegedly shooting the victim, Winward is accused of giving someone instructions to hide the suspected murder weapon.”
Deputies said they later found the handgun in a storm drain.
“While on scene with officers, Winward confirmed the victim’s name and that the two were in a relationship. Immediately after this, Winward left the scene stating she had a medical emergency at her nearby residence. Officers followed Winward to her residence and detained her pursuant to the investigation,” the press release continued.
Winward was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder — domestic violence related, obstruction of justice and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person.
The victim’s identity has not been released, pending notification of family.
Anyone with information on the shooting has been asked to contact police at 801-799-3000.
- Kirstie Alley, Emmy-winning ‘Cheers’ star, dies at 71 (pageviews: 23761)
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 6035)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5428)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 5364)
- ‘It’s kind of an eerie feeling;’ Utah man living in Hawaii witnesses Mauna Loa eruption - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4461)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 3951)