REVIEW: ‘The Protégé’ A Game of Cat-And-Mouse Between Maggie Q, Michael Keaton
SALT LAKE CITY — When you’re the world’s most skilled contract killer, it must be tough to find a date who really GETS you. But that’s only one of the problems faced by Anna (Maggie Q) in Lionsgate Studio’s new movie “The Protégé.”
She was rescued from Vietnam as a child by Moody (Samuel L. Jackson), an assassin himself, and he trained her in his profession and became a father figure to her. But when Moody is killed, Anna vows revenge and hunts down those responsible.
In the process, she tangles with Rembrandt (Michael Keaton), an enigmatic and skilled professional killer in his own right. But he also, you know, GETS her, and thus begins a game of cat-and-mouse, where each one plays the cat at times, the mouse at others.
“The Protégé” was directed by Martin Campbell (“Casino Royale”), who is no stranger to action films, and without PG-13 restraints, he lets loose with bloody and violent action and plenty of Samuel L. Jackson language — if you catch my drift.
“The Protégé” is deservedly rated R for strong and bloody violence, torture, strong language, sexuality and brief nudity. This is not a movie for kids or family.
The run time clocks in at 1 hour & 49 minutes.
“The Protégé” is playing only in theaters.
Interested in this movie? Watch the video at the top of the page for my full, in-depth review & final rating.
Hopefully you & your family found this review helpful! Andy Farnsworth is the movie and pop culture guy for the KSL 5 Today morning news show and also hosts the Fan Effect podcast for KSL NewsRadio. Check out some of his other in-depth reviews of movies and streaming TV series on KSLTV.com.
- US coach makes dramatic rescue of artistic swimmer at worlds (pageviews: 12230)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 7508)
- Utah woman killed, one person injured in Nevada crash (pageviews: 5653)
- Teen trying to save another swimmer drowns in Deer Creek (pageviews: 5638)
- Utah couple gets hit with sky-high surprise air ambulance bill – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4110)
- 5 planets take center stage as they align in the night sky (pageviews: 3222)