Police: Man attacks people in car, then lights self on fire in Parowan
PAROWAN, Utah — Police said a man attacked a car, hurting the two people inside, and then got into a standoff with officers in Iron County.
It all started near 600 West and Center Street in Parowan.
Police said the man ran in front of a car, forcing the driver to stop, and then began hitting it with a baseball bat — striking the body of the car, the front windshield and two side windows.
The two people inside were injured from the broken glass, but were able to get away.
Police believe the suspect attacked at random and doesn’t know the victims.
A bystander then watched as the man went back into his apartment.
“Due to the aggravated factors, officers immediately went to the location and set up containment around the suspect’s home to make sure he did not leave the area as he is a potential threat to the community,” read a press release from the Parowan Police Department.
Police said they tried to make contact with the suspect, but he didn’t respond.
The 5th District Court then approved a search warrant so officers could enter the man’s residence and arrest him.
“Officers spent several minutes attempting to contact the suspect, advising him to come out, advising they had a warrant and giving him an opportunity to surrender before they served the warrant. Once the threat assessment was completed, officers attempted again for several minutes to make contact with the suspect with no response,” the press release continued.
Officers then entered the home, but the suspect was nowhere to be found.
He was eventually located in a wooden shed in the backyard, where police told him to surrender, but he refused.
Police said he then tried to light himself and officers on fire.
The officers backed away as flames erupted from inside the shed.
“Officers quickly began getting water hoses and fire extinguishers to put the fire out in an attempt to save the suspect’s life. The suspect came out of the shed moments after he started the fire and fell to the ground,” read the press release.
The suspect was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
The two victims who were injured inside the car also received treatment for their injuries.
An investigation is underway.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 16557)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16009)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 13809)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 9044)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7278)
- Missing Massachusetts girl found in Utah; man arrested for alleged human trafficking - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3003)