Wednesday’s Child: 12-year-old Peter looking for forever family
WEST JORDAN, Utah — At Altitude Trampoline Park in West Jordan, 12-year-old Peter wasted no time cutting loose. Peter loves to be active and enjoys sports like football, basketball and dodgeball.
“I like to play sports, I also like to ride bikes and play video games,” he said.
Peter has lived in foster care for many years. He’s been through things no child should go through, and yet he’s willing to open up to KSL TV in hopes of finding parents who will genuinely love him and treat him like a son.
“Being adopted means having a family that cares, be there for you when you need it,” he said.
Peter is starting seventh grade this year. He’s excited about school and the possibility of making new friends.
“He’s got a special place in my heart because he’s been through so much and he just deserves so much love,” said Amy Gibbs, who is Peter’s caseworker for the Division of Child and Family Services.
Gibb has worked with Peter for about three years. She said Peter has a witty sense of humor that keeps her laughing and on her toes. She says he’s got a big heart, too.
“He’s hilarious, very sassy, but he’s hilarious.”
Gibb said Peter would do well in a home with boundaries. He’s been on his own for a long time, but would thrive in a home with older siblings.
“At his last home he had a vision board, and he loved having that stuff. And he’s learning how to save money and have set money for church, savings and spending,” Gibb said.
When asked what’s it been like living in foster care, Peter shared the heartbreaking reality for hundreds of children in Utah: “You’re just going around trying to find someone to keep you. Adopt you.”
Peter says he wants to be a part of a forever family, and he hopes this next home is his last.
“I think if they’re willing to do the hard work and put some time in, then they could have some long-term benefits and the love for sure, because he’s a good kid and he’s been doing really well,” Gibb said.
KSL 5 TV Live
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 9883)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 9675)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 8289)
- Police officer wounded, gunman killed in Springville shootout (pageviews: 7785)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 7017)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6751)