Utahns pay tribute to 13 fallen US service members
HERRIMAN, Utah — One Utah neighborhood is honoring the 13 fallen U.S. service members who died in last Thursday’s bombing outside the Kabul airport in a way they hope teaches their children about the sacrifices made by those Americans.
Herriman resident Jeremy Brown said it was a coincidence that he had 13 American flags that the neighbors here use for holidays, and he didn’t hesitate to put them up to honor the fallen soldiers.
But what happened next gave the tribute a deeper meaning.
Ryan Bailey, his neighbor that lives across the street told him he wanted to add to the tribute in a special way.
“He got the kids and gathered everyone around and said, ‘We need to put names to those flags,’” his wife, Lindsay Bailey, told KSL TV.
So, the Baileys looked up each of the dead and wrote their names.
“Our mom and dad did the outside and we colored them,” said Anistyn Bailey, who is 8 years old.
The exercise helped the children recognize that these fallen officers had families and normal lives they won’t be returning to.
“It’s so sad, he died,” Anisytn Brown said as she points to the “frowny faces” she drew on one of the signs. Lindsay Bailey said she and her husband tried to help their children understand that freedom is not free and these service members died trying to keep the United States free.
Daxon Bailey, who is in fifth grade this year, also colored a sign that said “never forgotten” to add to the names. He said putting faces to the names made the tribute more meaningful.
“I felt really good,” he said. “We did something to honor them.”
The flags will be taken down nightly and put back up, every day through Sept. 11.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)