Labor Day weekend expected to bring extra traffic, long lines to Utah’s roads, SLC airport
SALT LAKE CITY — Busy roads, high gas prices and crowded airports — that’s what Utahns can expect if they’re traveling this Labor Day weekend.
Whatever your mode of transportation, planning ahead is key.
By car, officials with the Utah Department of Transportation said your best bet to head out of town is by 1 p.m. or after 8 p.m. Friday.
On Friday you can expect:
🚘 20-minute delays in Davis County on NB I-15.
🚘 10-minute delays in Salt Lake County on SB I-15.
On Monday plan for:
🚘 10-minute delays in Davis County on SB I-15, Nephi on NB I-15, Spanish Fork Canyon on WB U.S. 6, and Parleys Canyon on WB I-80. pic.twitter.com/1RPJWU35hp
— Utah DOT (@UtahDOT) September 3, 2021
It’s the last holiday weekend of summer and the roads will be crowded.
“There’s so many people out there trying to take advantage of the lakes (and) the camping grounds. All that extra traffic means extra delays. So just plan ahead for that,” said UDOT spokesperson John Gleason.
Gleason said most construction projects are on hold, but there are some trouble spots to avoid:
- Northbound Interstate 15 in Davis County where there are lane splits
- Ogden Canyon
- State Route 95 near Blanding due to emergency bridgework
“Either plan that extra time or take an alternate route,” Gleason said.
Flying to your destination? It’ll be packed.
This same time last year 11,000 people flew out of Salt Lake City. This year, that number is expected to more than double. Arrive two hours prior to boarding for flights – and don’t forget your face mask.
Whether you’re flying or driving, Gleason urged people to use a little bit of patience.
“We can all get there safely if we can all do our part,” he said.
The Utah Highway Patrol also reminded the public to buckle up, slow down, drive sober and put down the distractions. They will be stepping up enforcement throughout the holiday weekend.
Labor Day Increased Enforcement
As summer comes to an end and final weekend travel plans are being made please remember to:
Put Down the Distractions https://t.co/GEFzU19l6d
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) September 3, 2021
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5415)
- Locations of 6 international temples released (pageviews: 4509)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 3865)
- Police confirm no shooting has occurred at Granger Elementary School; school evacuated (pageviews: 2338)
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 2300)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 2293)