Grand Co. High School cancels all classes, activities over COVID-19 outbreak
MOAB, Utah — All classes and activities at Grand County High School have been canceled from Sept. 7 to Sept. 10 due to an outbreak of COVID-19 and a lack of available substitutes.
Officials with the Grand County School District said Saturday afternoon that 10 staff members and nine students at the high school have tested positive for the virus, as well as three teachers and four students at Helen M. Knight Elementary School.
“We are unable to provide substitutes for this many staff members,” read a Facebook post from the district.
Due to the lack of staffing, all classes and after-school activities, on or off campus, were canceled at Grand County High School, including athletics.
District officials said the high school would undergo a deep cleaning during the closure.
The Facebook post went on to say that a mandatory mask mandate would go into effect for all PreK through 12th grade students in the Grand County School District, beginning on Wednesday, Sept. 8.
The order, which will last for at least 30 days, applies to all students, staff, volunteers and parents, regardless of vaccination status.
Officials said classes will resume at Grand County High School on Monday, Sept. 13.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 8313)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 8203)
- Biden caught on hot mic swearing at Fox News reporter (pageviews: 6228)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 5505)
- CDC adds 5 more Caribbean island destinations to its highest level of travel risk – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4192)
- Former BYU professor heads to court Feb. 14 for 7 counts of sexual abuse (pageviews: 4034)
- Spirit Airlines to begin SLC flights in May (pageviews: 4017)
- Utah man suffers life-threatening burns after smoking near oxygen tank (pageviews: 3472)
- NASA's James Webb Space Telescope reaches final stop, 1 million miles out (pageviews: 3398)