Timeline on missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito investigation
This timeline of events relating to missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito will be updated as information becomes available.
July 2: Gabby Petito leaves New York with her boyfriend of two years heading west. They spend time in Colorado and southern Utah.
Aug. 12: A man calls police on the couple during a heated argument in Moab. According to interviews caught on police body camera video, the encounter included Petito slapping her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, and Laundrie attempting to lock her out of the car.
Aug. 21: Petito’s father, Joseph Petito, orders Uber Eats for Gabby Petito. The meal is delivered to the Fairfield Inn & Suites by the Salt Lake City airport where the couple was staying. This is the last time Petito speaks with her father.
Aug. 24: The couple leaves Salt Lake City heading for Grand Teton National Park. Petito’s mother, Nichole Schmidt, said they spent one or two days in Wyoming.
Aug. 23 or 24: Petito’s last FaceTime call with her mother. After this point, Schmidt says they “texted a lot.”
Aug. 25: Schmidt says the couple’s van is spotted at Grand Teton National Park. A tipster said she and her husband spotted Petito’s van in the Jenny Lake parking area that day.
Aug. 25: Last post on Petito’s Instagram account, @Gabspetito.
Aug. 25-27: Schmidt says she doesn’t know where Petito is. It is assumed the couple leaves the Grand Tetons for Yellowstone National Park, but it is unclear if they made it.
Aug. 27: Petito’s parents say her social media goes completely silent.
Aug. 30: Schmidt gets a text from Petito’s number. She is not sure if it is coming from Petito. After this point, Schmidt says Petito stops replying to her text messages.
Sept. 1: Police say Petito’s boyfriend gets back to Florida.
Sept. 11: After two weeks of not hearing from Petito, Suffolk County Police Department officially opens an investigation. Police also locate the van that the couple had been traveling in at Laundrie’s parent’s home in Florida.
Sept. 16: Friends and family plead for information from Laundrie and the public as the search continues.
Sept. 17: North Port police in Florida respond to Laundrie’s home at the request of his parents to speak with them. The extent of those conversations are unknown, but police said they did not speak with Brian Laundrie. Following those conversations, the Laundrie family’s attorney shared a statement with KSL, saying Brian has also gone missing. Police also confirmed that Brian’s parents said they haven’t seen him since Tuesday. In the meantime, authorities, including the FBI, continued to search the area around the Tetons in Wyoming for Gabby Petito. Officials with the Grand County Sheriff’s Office also release a statement Friday afternoon, saying Petito’s case is “not related” to the double-homicide of Kylen Schulte, 24, and Crystal Turner, 38, near Moab.
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 13583)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6751)
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 6531)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5863)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 4632)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4318)
- SLC IT employee arrested after allegedly providing undercover police data to human trafficker (pageviews: 3714)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired shot on movie set that killed woman (pageviews: 3468)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 3382)