Bicyclist in critical condition after being hit multiple times by car
ROY, Utah — A cyclist remains in critical condition after police said a woman in a car ran over him multiple times in Roy.
It happened Monday morning, just outside the parking lot of Warren’s Family Restaurant, located off of 3500 West.
The general manager of the restaurant told KSL-TV that they catch a lot of fender benders on their surveillance cameras, but never anything like this.
“So, I was actually just heading to work,” said Zeb Murphy. “It happened right before I got here.”
Murphy said he was surprised by what he saw that morning.
“The way to turn into my store was blocked off by a fire truck, a couple of cops and an ambulance, and I just see a car parked and a gentleman on the ground,” he said.
It was a concerning sight for Murphy.
“I saw the gentleman on the ground and he wasn’t moving,” he said. “It looked really serious.”
Murphy got a second look, as police asked whether this store might have any surveillance video.
“And I don’t know if she couldn’t see him, or if she just was busy with something else, but she ends up hitting him when he was riding his bike across, and then she backed up and then went forward again,” said Murphy.
The back and forth of the car can be seen a total of six times in the video, but luckily, police said the man was only run over two times.
Officers said he had just gotten off a UTA bus and hopped on his bike to head south.
“I don’t know if she thought she hit something and (was) trying to get over,” said Murphy.
Murphy said it looks like the older woman didn’t realize what she had hit.
Following the crash, the bicyclist was taken to a nearby hospital in critical condition.
Murphy said police, fire and ambulance responded surprisingly fast.
“Was definitely under two minutes. Even watching the cameras, I was really surprised two cop cars were here, and then the fire truck, the ambulance, they got here ridiculously fast, which was probably best for the gentleman that got hit,” he said.
Police said they do no believe the driver was impaired in any way, but that she simply didn’t see the bicyclist.
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 13583)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6751)
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 6531)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5863)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 4632)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4318)
- SLC IT employee arrested after allegedly providing undercover police data to human trafficker (pageviews: 3714)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired shot on movie set that killed woman (pageviews: 3468)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 3382)