High speed police chase in Summit County turns deadly; northbound US 40 back open
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — A high-speed chase along U.S. 40 turned deadly after the car police were chasing crashed and rolled several times.
According to Summit County Sheriff’s Office investigators, the female passenger in the car was killed and the man driving the car was taken to the hospital by helicopter.
As a result, northbound lanes along U.S. 40 at mile marker 2 where completely shut down for hours — causing major traffic jams that backed up traffic.
Lt. Andrew Wright with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office says it all started just after 9 a.m. Wednesday when Wasatch County deputies got a call about a stolen car in Hideout.
Heavy police activity along highway 40 .. where they’ve shut down northbound lanes just before I-80. Officer Involved Critical Incident UHP tells me a pursuit ended in crash. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/7TZKu2AUI6
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) September 22, 2021
The car was located at 10:20 a.m. by a Wasatch County deputy who attempted to stop the car. A chase started and on two separate occasions the pursuit was terminated, said Lt. Wright.
The chase started again on U.S. 40 after law enforcement again spotted the car.
Wright said speeds got up to 95 miles an hour before the driver of the car lost control and crashed. It rolled several times before coming to a stop.
“A multi-agency critical incident investigation is underway. The Utah Attorney General’s office, West Valley Police Department and Park City Police Department are assisting with the investigation,” said Wright.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 15557)
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 12470)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9294)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 6279)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6040)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5879)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5783)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 5356)