Share this story...
Latest News
Latest News

Utah Football’s Aaron Lowe killed, another injured in SLC shooting

SALT LAKE CITYA University of Utah football player died and a woman sustained critical injuries after being shot overnight at a party.

Police said Aaron Lowe was pronounced dead at the scene after a fight at that party escalated.

The shooting occurred in the 2200 block of South Broadmoor Street.

“The whole neighborhood lit up,” said neighbor Matt Keller.

Officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department said things started innocently enough with a house party that was getting too loud.

“The house party was generating some noise, enough that the neighbors were concerned enough to call,” said Brent Weisberg, spokesperson for the SLCPD.

Police said they started getting calls around 10:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Another neighbor told KSL-TV she called in around 11:23 p.m., and just before midnight, she said her roommate made a call, concerned the party was out of control.

The neighbor has asked not to be identified for safety concerns.

“They told us it wasn’t the first noise complaint, they were going to send someone out as soon as possible,” the neighbor said.

The neighbor said there were at least 100 people at the party and they were spilling onto the street, blocking the area.

“My roommate and I walked up and down the street, trying to see if the cops would come, if just the flashing lights would disperse the people from the party that was going on, but they never came,” the neighbor said.

Then, around 12:20 a.m., the neighbor said things escalated.

“All of a sudden, it got super loud a lot of yelling was happening,” the neighbor said, explaining that other neighbors also started coming outside to see what was happening on the street.

Salt Lake City police said they were in the area when they heard reports of a fight involving a weapon.

“We heard five or six gunshots go off,” the neighbor said.

Police arrived minutes after the shooting.

They suspect uninvited guests showed up, and when asked to leave, a fight broke out and two people were shot.

The victims include a woman, who is currently in critical condition, and Utah football player Aaron Lowe, who died at the scene.

Lowe is the second member of the team killed by gunfire in less than a year.

Ty Jordan was shot on Christmas Day.

“He just won the Ty Jordan award. He was wearing Ty Jordan’s number, and to die of a gunshot wound is just traumatic for this team,” said Keller.

Police said they’re still looking for the suspect.

Anyone with information has been asked to call 1-800-799-3000.

They believe several witnesses may have footage of what happened.

Around 4:20 p.m., Chief Mike Brown with the Salt Lake City Police Department provided an update on the investigation.

He shared a statement on Twitter, which read, in part, “Our detectives are working through each lead. We will be thorough in our investigation at every level. We still believe there are people who have not yet come forward.”

The statement went on to say, “Do not let fear silence you. Our priority is getting justice for Aaron, his family and the young woman wounded.”

Local leaders, fellow athletes react to Lowe’s passing

Condolences have been pouring in over the loss of Lowe from local leaders, as well as fellow athletes.

Gov. Spencer Cox tweeted Sunday morning: “Abby and I mourn with our @UUtah family and friends at the tragic passing of Aaron Lowe this morning. Our prayers are with his family at this terribly difficult time,” read Cox’s statement.

Sen. Mike Lee expressed his devastation, writing on social media, “My heart breaks at news that Aaron Lowe’s young life was cut so short. Sharon and I will mourn with the Lowe family as well as the Ute community that embraced Aaron as a teammate, students, and friend.”

Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall shared these thoughts on Twitter: “My heart is with the family and friends of Aaron Lowe on this tragic morning. Aaron was an exceptional and talented young man who was loved by those close to him, the @UUtah community, and Salt Lake City.”

Coach Kyle Whittingham released a statement Sunday morning, saying, “We are devastated to hear about the passing of Aaron Lowe. Our thoughts and prayers are with Aaron’s family and friends, along with the other individual who was harmed in this tragic incident. Aaron was a great teammate, friend, brother and son and was loved by anyone who crossed paths with him. He will be deeply missed.”

Athletic Director Mark Harlan also shared his sentiments.

His statement read, in part, “Aaron was a terrific young man, a leader on our football team, and a rock of resiliency and courage. Our prayers are with Aaron’s family, friends, teammates and all who knew and loved him… We have been in communication with Aaron’s family and we are providing support to them.”

Several teammates expressed their emotions over social media.

Team captain Devin Lloyd said, “Why do the good have to die young? Love you brother. Rest in paradise.”

New starting quarterback Cam Rising shared his love for Lowe.

Ja’Quinden Jackson, another quarterback for Utah, expressed his heartbreak and shared some photos of Lowe.

“I love you family and gone miss you dawg,” read his tweet.

Utah center Nick Ford wrote, “God bless A Lowe’s soul. Can’t keep losing brothers left and right.”

Former teammates and current NFL players Jaylon Johnson and Zack Moss expressed their condolences as well.

Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell also reacted to the news of Lowe’s passing, writing, “Rest In Peace Aaron Lowe,” followed by the folded hands emoji.

Memorials began popping up Saturday afternoon in Salt Lake City.

More on the shooting and reaction from the community can be found on the KSL Sports website.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories