Utah man arrested for allegedly lighting woman on fire with gasoline, road flare
DAVIS COUNTY, Utah — A man was arrested in Davis County, accused of pouring gasoline on a woman and lighting her on fire with a road flare.
Police said Marc Allen Davis, who is facing 15 charges, including attempted murder, was found in a hole near a property located at 930 W., 2300 North in Clinton, Utah, according to a probable cause statement in court documents filed in Second District Court Monday.
Police were called to the Clinton residence where a victim — who was treated for her injuries — told them Davis poured gasoline on her and lit the fuel on fire with a road flare. The unidentified victim was said by police to have “severe scars.”
Another woman told police she was driving by the area and saw a man matching Davis’ description chasing a woman in the road with a lit road flare. She told police she stayed in the area and saw a man matching Davis’ description in a yard west of the location “with a red cooler in his hand.” The owner of the residence gave police permission to search the yard to make sure Davis was not there.
“While searching the backyard, Marc was found hiding inside of a approximately 10 foot deep hole under a blanket. After multiple verbal commands, Marc crawled out of the hole and was placed in hand cuffs,” police said in the PC statement.
Police said they also located a red cooler and a cell phone in the hole under a blanket. Davis pretended to be mute and was taken into custody to speak with a detective. He told investigators he was near the victim but “denied throwing anything on her and chasing her with the flare.”
Documents stated: “Located inside the cooler, was a large amount of a solid crystal like substance, three bags of a green leafy like substance, a zip lock baggie of white powder, spoons, needles, tutor straws, pipes, bongs, a small glass container, baggies, a scale, and a folding knife. Marc denied being possession of the cooler and denied ownership of said cooler.” Police said they also found a knife in the cooler.
According to court documents, police found a plastic soda bottle in the road that smelled like gasoline.
According to documents, Davis faces charges of:
- Attempted murder – knowing and intentional
- Possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person
- Distribute / offer / arrange distribution of controlled substance
- Possession of a controlled substance
- Eight counts of use or possession of drug paraphernalia
- Obstruction of justice
Police said Davis was a substantial threat to the community and would be likely to flee if he is released on bail and called for his continued detention.
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 6449)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6433)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 6050)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5371)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3347)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3137)