Police searching for Millcreek woman’s stolen car, U-Haul trailer
MILLCREEK, Utah — A Millcreek woman is now homeless after thieves stole her car and tens of thousands of dollars worth of belongings.
Kate Annis, 23, packed up a 5-by-8-foot U-Haul trailer Monday.
“I locked everything. I was leaving at 6 a.m. Tuesday,” she said. “I am devastated. It was one night parked on the street, and now, it’s all gone.”
Officers with the Salt Lake City Police Department said they’re looking for a 2018 Subaru Outback, with Utah license plate No. U70 7ES, as well as a U-Haul with North Carolina plate No. AY33729.
Detectives believe the thieves were in Holladay Tuesday morning, then headed to Glendale.
“It’s as if my entire life was stripped away,” said Annis. “I have spent years saving enough money to buy rock climbing equipment and skis. It was all taken. What really hurts is knowing I might never again see the sentimental childhood letters or the years of journals I wrote.
Annis and her friends had a bonfire in the backyard Monday night.
She said she believes her car was stolen during that time, when she was just feet away.
“I had a friend come home around midnight and tell me my car was missing at that time,” said Annis. “It’s heartbreaking.”
Neighbors said crime has spiked in the East Millcreek neighborhood in the past two weeks.
“Criminals sawed off three catalytic converters two weeks ago and police mentioned another car burglary,” said Annis.
The 23-year-old, who has comprehensive car coverage, itemized everything in the U-Haul. She estimates thieves made away with more than $35,000 worth of possessions.
“The amount of sobbing I have done in the past 24 hours is incredible,” she said. “Such a big loss, but there are good people, and I am amazed at their kindness.”
She went on to say, “Strangers have offered me shelter, a place to sleep since my rental lease is up, and I have nowhere to go. I am overwhelmed with gratitude.”
Annis’ friends also started a GoFundMe* page to help her get back on her feet.
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 76405)
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 22066)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 15455)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 12156)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12014)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 10654)
- 3 killed in multi-vehicle crash; NB I-15 closed for several hours in Box Elder County (pageviews: 8197)