Celebrating National Fossil Day in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah has more evidence of prehistoric life and dinosaurs than most states, so Wednesday — National Fossil Day — is a great day to celebrate one of the things that makes the Beehive State so great.
To celebrate, KSL’s Dan Spindle created a list of the best places to see fossils with fall break coming up for several school districts.
- Natural History Museum of Utah (Salt Lake City)
- Eccles Dinosaur Park (Ogden)
- North American Museum of Ancient Life (Lehi)
- BYU Museum of Paleontology (Provo)
They all charge admission except for the BYU museum, but they accept donations.
- Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail or the Copper Ridge Dinosaur track site (Moab)
- St. George Dinosaur Discovery Site at Johnson Farm (closed Wednesdays)
- Parowan Gap Petroglyphs
Both Moab area hikes are shorter hikes and they’re a way to see fossils outside of the museum, in the natural world.
The St. George location is a cool facility that’s affordable — $4 for children, $8 for adults.
Today is National Fossil Day! The UGS holds what is likely Utah's most spectacular dinosaur fossil block, the 9-ton Utahraptor megablock. Learn more about the Utahraptor megablock on this dedicated webpage–https://t.co/68BEMo6TMa#earthscienceweek #nationalfossilday #utahgeology pic.twitter.com/iNtA6Xdhr5
— Utah Geological (@utahgeological) October 13, 2021
The Utah Geological Survey has an interactive guide showing dozens of track sites, museums and quarries where Utahns can see fossils and learn more about dinosaurs.
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 7556)
- Missing teen returns home to Eagle Mountain (pageviews: 6298)
- Missing teen returns home to Eagle Mountain – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5748)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4510)
- Authorities searching for 13-year-old boy on Fish Lake (pageviews: 3680)
- 'Elf Emporium' for Festival of Trees is woman’s dying wish (pageviews: 3089)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 3051)
- Laundrie family hopes for answers after remains found (pageviews: 2590)
- Authorities searching for 13-year-old boy on Fish Lake – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2517)