One dead, three injured after Salt Lake City crash
SALT LAKE CITY — One person has died and three others were transported to the hospital after a crash occurred in Salt Lake City following a chase.
Sgt. Mitch Gwilliam with the North Salt Lake Police Department said around noon Saturday, officers were notified about a possible DUI driver that was driving erratically.
The vehicle was described as a gold-colored, four-door pickup truck with a bicycle on the back.
Witnesses told police the occupants of the truck, two adult men, were passing a bottle of alcohol, possibly a whisky bottle, back and forth between each other.
Gwilliam said NSLPD officers spotted the vehicle near Center Street on U.S. Highway 89 in North Salt Lake and attempted to stop it, but the driver fled the scene.
“The vehicle fled onto I-15, then southbound,” said Gwilliam. “Ultimately exited into Salt Lake City.”
The truck then crashed into an uninvolved vehicle in the area of 1200 West and 500 North.
Two adult women were in that car, according to Gwilliam. One of the women died, while the other sustained life-threatening injuries and was transported to the hospital.
Our investigators need help finding video showing a non-SLCPD-involved vehicle pursuit today between 12 PM – 12:20 PM on 1200 West in between 1000 North and 500 North.
— SLC Police Dept. (@slcpd) October 16, 2021
The two men in the pickup truck were also transported to the hospital, but with non-life-threatening injuries.
The crash remains under investigation.
DUI is suspected as a cause in the crash, but it has not been confirmed, according to Gwilliam.
The victim’s identity has not been released.
Officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department said their investigators are looking for video of the chase.
“We are asking anyone with a home or business security system on along 1200 West in between 500 North and 1000 North to please check those systems for any recorded police activity showing a vehicle pursuit occurring today between 12:00 PM – 12:20 PM,” read a tweet from SLCPD.
Anyone with video or information was asked to call 801-799-3000 and reference case number 21-190757.
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 33024)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22249)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 17815)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12809)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8138)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 5410)