Two hikers rescued after getting stuck in Little Cottonwood Canyon
LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON — Search and rescue crews were called out late Friday night after two hikers got stuck in the Gate Buttress area in Little Cottonwood Canyon.
Det. Kevin Mallory with the Unified Police Department said the hikers — a 26-year-old man and 24-year-old woman — called 911 after they were rappelling down and got lost, then proceeded to get stuck on a cliff.
Their phones were almost dead, according to Mallory, and they had no cold weather clothing on them.
The pair also had no water to drink since 5 p.m.
A Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter was then called out, according to an official with the Utah Highway Patrol, to fly a group of Salt Lake County Search and Rescue members up to where the hikers were.
Due to stormy conditions in the area, the helicopter had to leave, according to Mallory.
The detective said authorities eventually made contact with the man and woman around 5 a.m., and everyone was off the mountain by 8:45 a.m.
Additional details were not immediately available.
Mallory urged people to be prepared when recreating outdoors, especially as the cold winter months approach.
KSL 5 TV Live
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 9883)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 9675)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 8289)
- Police officer wounded, gunman killed in Springville shootout (pageviews: 7785)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 7017)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6751)