Two hikers rescued after getting stuck in Little Cottonwood Canyon
LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON — Search and rescue crews were called out late Friday night after two hikers got stuck in the Gate Buttress area in Little Cottonwood Canyon.
Det. Kevin Mallory with the Unified Police Department said the hikers — a 26-year-old man and 24-year-old woman — called 911 after they were rappelling down and got lost, then proceeded to get stuck on a cliff.
Their phones were almost dead, according to Mallory, and they had no cold weather clothing on them.
The pair also had no water to drink since 5 p.m.
A Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter was then called out, according to an official with the Utah Highway Patrol, to fly a group of Salt Lake County Search and Rescue members up to where the hikers were.
Due to stormy conditions in the area, the helicopter had to leave, according to Mallory.
The detective said authorities eventually made contact with the man and woman around 5 a.m., and everyone was off the mountain by 8:45 a.m.
Additional details were not immediately available.
Mallory urged people to be prepared when recreating outdoors, especially as the cold winter months approach.
- Michigan school shooting suspect and his parents were isolated in the same facility and under suicide watch, sheriff said (pageviews: 7050)
- Michigan school officials had legal grounds to search shooting suspect's backpack and locker but did not, prosecutor says (pageviews: 3706)
- Missionary in serious but stable condition after being shot multiple times (pageviews: 3561)
- Daycare closed for meth contamination after child pornography charges (pageviews: 2809)
- Lighting Letdown: Customers call Gephardt after professional holiday light installer goes silent (pageviews: 2651)
- San Francisco restaurant owners apologize after refusing service to on-duty police officers (pageviews: 2381)
- One injured after road-rage shooting on SR 201 (pageviews: 1846)
- Utah woman sews success with her own online quilt shop (pageviews: 1806)
- Utah woman sews success with her own online quilt shop – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 1783)