Police seeking suspect in fatal SLC shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a 21-year-old man in downtown Salt Lake City overnight.
Police received a call at 1:23 a.m. Sunday reporting the shooting near 500 West and 600 South in Salt Lake City.
The Salt Lake City Police Department say the victim was pronounced dead shortly after they arrived on scene. First aid attempts were performed unsuccessfully.
The victim is identified as Isaiah Valerio.
I want to thank the community members and witnesses who came forward with critical information about this case. Those tips gave our detectives enough info to quickly ID the suspect.
Anyone with info on the location of this person should call 9-1-1 immediately. https://t.co/ppiOCkoXKT
— Chief Mike Brown (@ChiefMikeBrown) October 24, 2021
SLCPD detectives have interviewed witnesses and have identified a suspect.
They say 20-year-old Roy Anthony Duran was identified by witnesses as having fled the scene before police arrived.
Duran is said to have tattoos on his right hand and forearm and on the right side of his neck. Police say he should be considered armed and dangerous.
“Anyone who knows of the location of the suspect in this case, Roy Anthony Duran, should immediately call 9-1-1,” SLCPD said in a news release.
A candlelight vigil for Isaiah Valerio has been scheduled for 5:30 p.m. at 550 Jeremy Street in Salt Lake City.
KSL 5 TV Live
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 34675)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 14695)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12863)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 10776)
- Greatest snow on Earth: Utah's snowpack hits record high (pageviews: 9730)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 9376)
- Body found under overpass at 600 North (pageviews: 6779)