Police arrest suspect in fatal SLC shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — A 20-year-old man has been arrested in connection to the alleged shooting death of Isaiah Valerio in Salt Lake City.
Officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department said Monday night that Roy Anthony Duran will be booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail for investigation of several charges, including murder, obstruction of justice and being a restricted person in possession of a firearm.
They added that Duran turned himself into the Clearfield Police Department earlier that day.
Tonight, our Homicide Squad arrested 20-year-old Roy Anthony Duran in connection to the alleged murder of 21-year-old Isaiah Valerio.
— Chief Mike Brown (@ChiefMikeBrown) October 26, 2021
Just before 1:30 a.m. Sunday, police were notified about a shooting near 500 West and 600 South.
When officers responded to the area, they found 21-year-old Isaiah Valerio in critical condition.
He was pronounced dead on scene shortly thereafter, despite help from first responders.
“It is alleged, based on the statements of several witnesses, Duran shot Mr. Valerio while attending a warehouse Halloween party and then fled the scene. Prior to the shooting, Duran was allegedly involved in an argument with several partygoers. Witnesses have also told detectives that Duran punched Mr. Valerio in the head prior to the shooting,” read a press release from the SLCPD.
Chief Mike Brown of the SLCPD shared his thanks on social media Monday night.
“I want to thank our detectives who worked nonstop to solve this case. Job well done,” read the tweet.
Anyone with information, including those who may have pictures or videos of the incident, has been asked to call 801-799-3000 and reference case number 21-195834.
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 14388)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 5568)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 5477)
- Locations of 6 international temples released (pageviews: 5250)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 4962)
- Utah's Festival of Trees returns to an in-person event (pageviews: 3162)