Woman arrested in connection to arson fire at old Sears building in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY – Police arrested a transient woman who admitted to starting a fire just before midnight Monday at the old Sears building at 750 South State Street.
Mary Joyce Lacy, 38, said “chemical warfare” when the arresting officer asked why she started the fire, according to an affidavit of probable.
“She appears to have some mental issues and with a previous history of arson, it is certainly possible that she might continue with lighting fires,” the officer wrote in the document.
Update: ARREST MADE
We would like to thank the Salt Lake City Police Department for their cooperation. They rapidly identified the fire and quickly apprehended the suspect, leading to preservation of the structure and increasing safety for our community. #slcfire @slcpd @SLCgov pic.twitter.com/90cgczllOY
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) November 9, 2021
Police were responding to an unrelated call when they came across the flames.
He said the fire department had to break down the building’s doors as they burned and there was damage to the water system in the building.
Lacy was charged with a felony count of arson exceeding $5,000.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)