Mother who is a highly decorated Marine honored at University of Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah celebrated 11 veterans at the school’s 24th annual Veteran’s Day Commemoration Thursday.
One of those honored was a Cedar Hills woman, the only woman on the stage.
Retired Marine Corps Master Sgt. Julia Watson Carlson said, “What I am feeling is just complete humility and honor to be one of the selectees and to be honored with just, heroes.”
Receiving a high honor isn’t something you’ll hear Julia Carlson boast about. Her record as a Marine and marksman says enough as the announcer explained, “Carlson won 15 interservice titles, five international titles of which two were combat precision against all militaries of the world.”
She was the first woman to win a national individual trophy in 1998 and was named Female Athlete of the Year for the Marine Corps too.
— Morgan Wolfe (@MorganWolfeKSL) November 11, 2021
She served tours in Iraq and Afghanistan where she played an important role in the local communities.
“I was instrumental in putting together programs for the Iraqi women and Afghan women through our civil programs,” she explained.
Three years ago, KSL TV featured Carlson who showed us her most prized awards, her children. “I am proud of my family.”
On a stage with all men, Carlson was proud to represent women and her country.
“Happy Veterans Day to all our Utah veterans,” she said.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 27530)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to 'tithing settlement' (pageviews: 9496)
- Utah company Lions Not Sheep responds to $211K FTC fine – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8374)
- Anne Heche is 'not expected to survive,' family says in statement (pageviews: 6508)
- Utah company Lions Not Sheep responds to $211K FTC fine (pageviews: 4092)
- Search continues for Utah man shot at during police confrontation, abduction (pageviews: 2987)