New mom who delayed COVID-19 vaccine to protect baby is now on ventilator in ICU
SALT LAKE CITY – A new mom who wanted to get the COVID-19 vaccine but decided to hold off until she was done breastfeeding her new son is now fighting for her life in the hospital.
Dezi Scopesi married the love of her life three years ago, then a new love entered September 2020.
“It’s just been so fun to see her grow into this beautiful woman. To be at her wedding, that was just one of the best moments,” said Lashae Steele, Dezi’s sister. “When she became a mom, it was just the best, she just lit up.”
Steele said it wasn’t an easy start for her new nephew. After Dezi gave birth, Leo was flown to Primary Children’s Hospital where he spent a good amount of time in the neonatal intensive care unit.
Dezi decided to hold off on getting the vaccine while she was breastfeeding Leo.
Her sister said, “It was a tough decision, she was ready to move forward but got sick.”
Dezi came down with COVID-19 a few weeks after celebrating Leo’s first birthday. She went to the ICU in November where she remains on a ventilator battling the damage COVID-19 did to her body.
A 23 year old new mom is fighting for her life in the hospital. Dezi got Covid shortly after her son turned 1.
— Morgan Wolfe (@MorganWolfeKSL) December 1, 2021
While her family focuses on her recovery they are so grateful for the community response.
“We just feel so much love and support and endless acts of kindness we have received and that her family has received,” her sister said.
The family just paid off Leo’s hospital bill a few months ago and now has another mountain of medical costs due to her ICU stay.
You can contribute here.*
*KSL-TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Small plane makes emergency landing on I-15 (pageviews: 7907)
- New Zealand sends flight to see damage from Pacific volcano (pageviews: 7777)
- Salt Lake City schools switching to remote learning next week (pageviews: 5948)
- Utahns can't reach family members in Tonga after volcanic eruption, tsunamis (pageviews: 5948)
- Man arrested for DUI after driving recklessly on U.S. 89 (pageviews: 3814)
- Intermountain Healthcare updates visitation policy for its hospitals, clinics (pageviews: 3705)
- Woman killed in subway shove at Times Square (pageviews: 3323)
- 2 Hunter High football players killed, another injured in shooting; four suspects in custody (pageviews: 3284)
- Utahns can’t reach family members in Tonga after volcanic eruption, tsunamis – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3170)