Permits required to hike Angels Landing in Zion National Park starting in April 2022
SPRINGDALE, Utah – The new year will bring a new permit requirement for hikers who visit Angels Landing at Zion National Park.
Sign up for the first lottery begins on Jan 3. The permits will be required to hike Angels Landing beginning April 1, 2022.
You can register here.
“Angels Landing is one of the most iconic destinations in Zion National Park and issuing permits will make going there fair for everyone.” Superintendent Jeff Bradybaugh said. “The system we’ve put in place will reduce crowding on the trail, address safety concerns, and make it easy for visitors to plan ahead.”
Just entering a lottery will cost six dollars and hikers who actually get a permit will pay an additional three-dollar fee.
Planning a trip to Zion? On and after April 1, 2022, hikers going to Angels Landing will need a permit. The NPS will issue permits using online lotteries. The first lottery opens on January 3, 2022. Learn more: https://t.co/XtjhyU3suQ pic.twitter.com/33Ke836Irt
— Zion National Park (@ZionNPS) December 3, 2021
The money will pay for managing the lotteries and help hire additional park rangers.
There’s more information on how to navigate the lottery process here.
The Park Service cautioned that this is a pilot program so it may need to adjust the process.
Managers said the exploding popularity of Zion National Park made the permit requirement necessary.
The park recorded about 2.8 million visits in 2011 and nearly 4.5 million visits in 2019.
- Small plane makes emergency landing on I-15 (pageviews: 7907)
- New Zealand sends flight to see damage from Pacific volcano (pageviews: 7777)
- Salt Lake City schools switching to remote learning next week (pageviews: 5948)
- Utahns can't reach family members in Tonga after volcanic eruption, tsunamis (pageviews: 5948)
- Man arrested for DUI after driving recklessly on U.S. 89 (pageviews: 3814)
- Intermountain Healthcare updates visitation policy for its hospitals, clinics (pageviews: 3705)
- Woman killed in subway shove at Times Square (pageviews: 3323)
- 2 Hunter High football players killed, another injured in shooting; four suspects in custody (pageviews: 3284)
- Utahns can’t reach family members in Tonga after volcanic eruption, tsunamis – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3170)