Permits required to hike Angels Landing in Zion National Park starting in April 2022
SPRINGDALE, Utah – The new year will bring a new permit requirement for hikers who visit Angels Landing at Zion National Park.
Sign up for the first lottery begins on Jan 3. The permits will be required to hike Angels Landing beginning April 1, 2022.
You can register here.
“Angels Landing is one of the most iconic destinations in Zion National Park and issuing permits will make going there fair for everyone.” Superintendent Jeff Bradybaugh said. “The system we’ve put in place will reduce crowding on the trail, address safety concerns, and make it easy for visitors to plan ahead.”
Just entering a lottery will cost six dollars and hikers who actually get a permit will pay an additional three-dollar fee.
Planning a trip to Zion? On and after April 1, 2022, hikers going to Angels Landing will need a permit. The NPS will issue permits using online lotteries. The first lottery opens on January 3, 2022. Learn more: https://t.co/XtjhyU3suQ pic.twitter.com/33Ke836Irt
— Zion National Park (@ZionNPS) December 3, 2021
The money will pay for managing the lotteries and help hire additional park rangers.
There’s more information on how to navigate the lottery process here.
The Park Service cautioned that this is a pilot program so it may need to adjust the process.
Managers said the exploding popularity of Zion National Park made the permit requirement necessary.
The park recorded about 2.8 million visits in 2011 and nearly 4.5 million visits in 2019.
KSL 5 TV Live
- First temple in Virginia opens its doors to the public (pageviews: 14346)
- Man in custody, accused of filming children in the bathroom of his business (pageviews: 14172)
- Utah man bit by shark while swimming in Hawaii (pageviews: 11996)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 11993)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 10759)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 9599)