Police: Food delivery driver cited for stealing packages
RIVERTON, Utah – A woman suspected of stealing packages from porches in Riverton and South Jordan turned herself in to police on Friday, according to Riverton Police.
Earlier in the day, police had posted doorbell camera photos and asked for the public’s help to identify the woman.
“People had actually caught video of the suspect coming in and they actually realized once they watched the video back that the person who was taking the packages was a delivery driver delivering food,” said Cmdr. Ryan Shosted with the Riverton Police Department.
Shosted said detectives are aware of nine homes where packages were taken in late November and on the first day of December.
“This person was actually going up to the house, delivering food, and then would take a short break in between and go back and take a package if there was one,” he said.
The woman was cited for theft and released, Shosted said. He said detectives are still looking at pursuing more serious charges related to mail theft.
“It’s one of those crimes where people are going to get caught when they take packages, but unfortunately, people still miss out on a lot of their Christmas items,” Shosted said.
It’s a good reminder, Shosted said, to remove packages quickly from your porch. If you can’t get them inside, he suggested enlisting the help of neighbors or use technology that will open doors for delivery drivers.
“Just have somebody grab it,” Shosted said. “It’s potentially going to save you disappointment over Christmas time.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9267)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 8058)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6022)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3183)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2423)